The BMW R 18 Classic
Iconic. Nostalgic. Soulfuel
The R 18 Classic is a modern cruiser with a nostalgic sense of BMW design. It reminds one of the first BMW cruisers suitable for touring. It also invokes timeless marks of our motorcycle history, such as with the white double pinstripe found on the R 18 Classic First Edition. The heart of the machine is obviously the boxer engine with the most displacement we have ever built. It is designed for relaxing tours and pure enjoyment.
- Seat with passenger seat: The seat bench consists of two individual seats.
- Boxer with pushrods: Built with conviction, for over 95 years: The R stands for boxer.
- LED additional lights: Typical nostalgic touring bike: two auxiliary lights.
- Footboards: These provide a relaxed and comfortable ride, as the overall appearance of the bike already suggests.
- Windshield: The large windshield protects the rider from the wind and weather.
- Round exhaust pipe, open driveshaft, double cradle frame: Historic influence, newly interpreted for today.
- Black tank with double pinstripe and classic BMW logo: The black tank with double striping is one of the icons of BMW Motorrad history.
- Saddle bags: The soft bags have 4.1 gallons of space for things you might need on a trip.
- Design: Air/oil cooled two-cylinder four-stroke boxer engine with two chain-driven camshafts above the crankshaft.
- Bore x stroke: 107.1 mm x 100 mm
- Capacity: 1,802 cc
- Horsepower: 91 hp at 4,750 rpm
- Max. torque: 116 lb-ft at 3,000 rpm
- Compression ratio: 9.6 : 1
- Fuel delivery: Electronic intake pipe fuel injection, BMS-K+ electronic engine management with overrun cut-off, twin-spark ignition
- Emission control: Regulated three-way catalytic converter
Mileage / Consumption
- Maximum speed: over 111 mph
- Fuel type: Premium unleaded
- Alternator: Permanent magnet generator 600 W (nominal capacity)
- Battery: 12 V / 26 Ah, maintenance-free
- Clutch: Single-disk dry clutch
- Gears: 6-speed transmission
- Secondary drive: Shaft drive
Suspension / Brakes
- Frame: Double-cradle steel frame
- Front suspension / spring elements: Telescopic fork
- Rear-wheel guide / spring elements: Steel swingarm with central shock strut
- Spring travel, front / rear: 4.7" / 3.5"
- Wheelbase: 68.1"
- Caster: 5.9"
- Steering head angle: 57.3°
- Wheels: Spoked wheel
- Rim dimensions, front: 3.00" x 16"
- Rim dimensions, rear: 5.00" x 16"
- Tire, front: 130/90 B16
- Tire, rear: 180/65 B16
- Brake, front: Twin disc brakes, diameter 300 mm, 4-piston fixed caliper
- Brake, rear: Single disc brake, diameter 300 mm, fixed caliper
- ABS: BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (partially integral)
Dimensions / Weights
- Seat height at, unladen weight: 28.0"
- Rider step length unladen: 65.2"
- Usable tank capacity: Approx. 4.2 gal
- of which is reserve: 1.0 gal
- Length: 96.1"
- Height (excluding mirrors): 52.8"
- Height (above windshield, at DIN empty weight): 55.0"
- Width (with mirror): 38.0"
- Unladen weight, fully fueled/road-ready: 805 lbs
- Max. permitted weight: 1,234.6 lbs.
- Max. load (with standard equipment): 430 lbs